TinierMe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Poll

Do you think there should be a 2-post waiting limit for Game Threads?

[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? I_vote_lcap39%[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? I_vote_rcap 39% [ 28 ]
[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? I_vote_lcap48%[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? I_vote_rcap 48% [ 34 ]
[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? I_vote_lcap13%[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? I_vote_rcap 13% [ 9 ]

Total Votes : 71

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Inactive Site Notifications
[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? EmptySun Apr 02, 2017 4:51 pm by Mallicat

» Signature Sizes
[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 5:03 pm by Mallicat

» Banner Contest! -VOTING!-
[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 3:55 am by 、dクT

» Tree Decorating! [Ended]
[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 10:42 pm by Mallicat

» Points Enabled!
[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 3:25 pm by MissoPan

» BANNER CONTEST! -Submission Ended-
[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 6:09 pm by 13girl

» [Poll] Features: Roleplaying / Points / Reputation
[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 7:10 am by S o n a t a

» How Events will work!
[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 7:30 am by S o n a t a

» [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!?
[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 10:18 am by MissoPan

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Similar topics
    Keywords

[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!?

4 posters

TinierMe :: General :: FAQ

Go down

[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Empty [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!?

Post by MissoPan Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi everyone!

If you haven't yet noticed, your post boxes usually come with all of the coding built right in via buttons. There will be no more fussing around with experimental coding, trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. Because many people joining this forum have never used forum codes before, I will give everyone an in-depth review of what buttons do what. c:

--- Part 1: Word Editing ---
    To start off, we now have access to text styles that don't require the use of broken HTML. If anyone has tried to play with the text on Tinierme, it often resulted in huge walls of glitched coding that didn't do what it was supposed to. Your four most basic styles are:

Bold, represented by this image: [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Text_bold
    Italic, represented by this image: [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Text_italic
    Underline, represented by this image: [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Text_underline
    Strike-through, represented by this image: [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Text_strikethrough

Although it is easy to edit your text by simply highlighting the word/s in question and clicking, it is also possible to insert the code manually. TM used < and > as their brackets, but this forum (and many others) will use [ and ].

Code:
    [b]Word[/b] will give you a bold item.
    [i]Word[/i] will give you an italicized item.
    [u]Word[/u] will give you an underlined item.
    [s]Word[/s] will give you a striked item.

It is possible to combine all four of these, and as long as the coding is intact several similar different codes may be applied to many words at once.

--- Color Coding ---

Color coding is also fairly simple on this forum! If you'll glance back upward, you'll see that I've made a literal rainbow of letters!

In order to use colors, one must highlight the words they wish to color, and click on the button in your task bar that looks like this: [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Color_swatch

The list of colors you can choose from is limited, but there are many unnamed colors you can insert into the code.

Code:
    [color=colorname]Word[/color]

This is the manual code. With it, you can color specific areas of your post, or habitually enclose your entire post in the tag and recolor your text!

--- Sizing and Font ---

Throughout my post I've used several sizes in order to divide and differentiate between specific areas of my guide. This is also simple to do in post code using the button that looks like this: [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Style

One is not limited to the few sizes given. Any number may be put into the code to grant a near infinite number of sizes.

Code:
    [size=numberhere]Word[/size]

[size=12]Word[/size]

Doing this, one may create incredibly diverse posts.

Glancing back upward, do you notice anything different about my subheading?

Yes, the font has been changed from the default to the dreaded Comic Sans! This can be done by highlighting a word or section and clicking the button that looks like this: [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Font

I'm actually not sure if one can insert other unlisted fonts, but you're welcome to try it manually using this code:

Code:
    [font=Arial Black]Word[/font]

This is the end of part 1.
    The second part of this guide will explain a new feature unused in Tinierme: Quoting and listing.

Last edited by MissoPan on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:04 am; edited 4 times in total
    MissoPan
    MissoPan

http://www.tzelkora.com

Back to top Go down

[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Empty Part 2 - Lists, Quotes, and Alignments

Post by MissoPan Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:47 pm

--- Lists ---

A new feature one will experience with this change of websites is the ability to list items. Though not quite as simple as using - or * to illustrate a list, this code allows users to create very neat lists either with bullets or with numbers.

These items can be accessed using the buttons that look like this: [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Text_list_bullets for bullet lists, or [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Text_list_numbers for numbered lists.

Code:

[list]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [/list]

or

[list=1]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [/list]

Using such lists is useful because:

• It is neater and more organized.
    • You have the button there, so why not?
    • Misso's favorite color is purple, and this is somehow important.

Using numbered lists, however, is obviously better because:

1. Numbers are used in math, and everyone loves math.
    2. Bullet points are are so cliche!
    3. Stave it off! 1, 2, 3. And now you can count to 3.

--- Quoting ---

The second item on the menu is a previously unheard-of delicacy in Tinierme's Forums, where specifically addressing a post was done by using an @ sign followed by the post number, dooming onlookers to dig through pages and pages.

On here, the quoting system allows everyone to see what someone before you said.

For example:

MissoPan wrote:To start off, we now have access to text styles that don't require the use of broken HTML. If anyone has tried to play with the text on Tinierme, it often resulting in huge walls of glitched coding that didn't do what it was supposed to. Your four most basic styles are...

WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?

I just removed part of my own post and placed it into an organized, easy-to-read box so people wouldn't have to dig to find my post! Never mind the fact the post is right above this one, this is great stuff!

Quoting another user is generally easy and can be accessed right from the original poster, located here.

Picking our specific parts of a post, however, is best done manually using the following code.

Code:
    [quote="Name Of User"]Words[/quote]

You can also just use the quote tag without specifying a name.

--- Alignment ---

Throughout the guide I've been using an alignment tool to center a lot of the titles used. By highlighting a paragraph, sentence, or word and clicking a button, one might also do this as well, using the following:

Left - [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Text_align_left
    Center - [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Text_align_center
    Right - [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Text_align_right
    Stretch / Justify - [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Text_align_justify

The codes, manually inserted, will look like this:

Code:

[left]Word[/left]
    [center]Word[/center]
    [right]Word[/right]
    [justify]Word[/justify]

And then you'll be given a series of words that look similar to this. By using alignments one is capable of creating well-organized and nice-looking posts. that, or you'll be the next E.E. Cummings.

And then you'll be given a series of words that look similar to this. By using alignments one is capable of creating well-organized and nice-looking posts. that, or you'll be the next E.E. Cummings.

This last one is using Justify. As you can see it doesn't do anything different from normal/left alignments.
    MissoPan
    MissoPan

Back to top Go down

[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Empty Part 3 - Pictures, Video, Image Hosting

Post by MissoPan Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:55 pm

--- Pictures and Linking ---

Posting pictures in a reply has never been easier! In fact, on Tinierme, it was impossible to post pictures outside of the original topic. But here you can, and it's as easy as clicking the button that looks like [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Picture

Code:
    [img]url of image[/img]

In order to manually insert an image, use the above code. It is also possible to use images as clickable links, just like you can use words!

Code:
    [url=link url][img]image url[/img][/url]

Which becomes this!

[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Cats-kitten-sink

Links can be made with words using a similar code, but instead of putting an image between the URL tags, one must simply write a label. The button used to activate the linking tags looks like this: [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Link

--- Video ---

Remember back when it was possible to link youtube videos with a code on TM? You know, back before they decided to be the fun police and disable all of those fun codes?

It's back, and here's how it works, using the button that looks like [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Film

This code is a little bit more complicated. You have three things to choose from. Thankfully, it automatically registers what site it's from when you put the video in, be it from google, youtube, or dailymotion.

The result is something like this embedded into your post.

**if your youtube direct url doesn't work, try the "youtu.be" url for sharing.

--- Image Hosting ---

You can host images right from your computer, too. All you have to go is click on the picture that looks like this: [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Picture_save

Unfortunately, you have to have an imageshack account in order for it to work.

--- Breaks ---

Using breaks in a post separates it by section. I haven't actually been doing this, but it's a very simple code consisting of only two letters. It can be accessed simply with the following image: [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Text_horizontalrule

Code:
    [hr]

It makes something that looks like this.

It's a little white line going through the post.

--- Coding ---

In order to display the coding of something, one must use the button that looks like [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Page_white_code

Code:
    [code][/code]

This tag eliminates the result of a code, allowing one to explain how the code is manually typed.
    MissoPan
    MissoPan

Back to top Go down

[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Empty Part 4 - Everything Else

Post by MissoPan Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:58 pm

--- Flash Video ---

Flash video is somewhat different from adding in regular videos. First of all, the video must be in the .swf format in order to properly embed. This form of embedding also demands the poster specify a size for the window. This code can be accessed by pressing the button that looks like this: [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Page_white_flash

Code:
    [flash(250,250)]http://illiweb.com/fa/i/forumotion.swf[/flash]
    For example, this.

It becomes this:

--- Table ---

I'm not sure why anyone would want to insert a table into their post, but it can be accessed by clicking the image that looks like this: [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Table

Code:
    [table border="1"]
    [tr]
    [td] Pie [/td][td] Cake [/td][td] Strudel [/td]
    [/tr][tr]
    [td] Apple [/td][td] Chocolate [/td][td] Strawberry [/td]
    [/tr][tr]
    [td] 1 [/td][td] 6 [/td][td] 9001 [/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

The above code turns into this:

Pie Cake Strudel
    Apple Chocolate Strawberry
    1 6 9001

The button opens up a box that allows one to insert a premade code, in which you can place words and data.

[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? 2nlwkjr

Be careful how many columns and rows you use. The code can get massive if you go over a certain number.

-- Other ---

This last button, up in the right corner next to the font button, is the king of the last few codes.

They are: Index, Exponent, Spoiler, Hidden, Horizontal Scrolling, Vertical Scrolling, Random, WoW.

Code:

[sub][/sub]
    [sup][/sup]
    [spoiler][/spoiler]
    [hide][/hide]
    [scroll][/scroll]
    [updown][/updown]
    [rand]Number 1, Number 2[/rand]
    [wow][/wow]

Index - the sub tags - create a subbed number off the bottom corner of a number or a word.
    Example: H2O

Exponent - the sup tags - does the opposite, creating a number off the top corner.
    Example: 52 = 25

Spoiler - This created a clickable area that blocks spoilers from view. Please use this tag when in the book and movie forums so as to not spoil plotlines for people that haven't read a book or watched a movie or show.
    Example:
    Spoiler:

** To create spoiler tabs with Titles:
    Code:
    [spoiler=Title Goes Here]Content[/spoiler]
    result:
    Title Goes Here:

Hide - Creates a special hidden area only you and the staff can see!
    Example: Shhh, it's hidden.

Scroll - Creates an image or text that scrolls across the post box.
    Example: ~~~~\0/~~~~/\~~~~

Updown - Created an image or text that scrolls up and down the box.
    In a galaxy far, far away...

Rand - Generates a random number.
    Example:
    Random number (10,90) : 47

WoW - dafuq does this do? <--- I've actually never seen what this tag does. I have no idea. If anyone knows, tell me so I can add this!

Last edited by MissoPan on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:23 am; edited 4 times in total
    MissoPan
    MissoPan

Back to top Go down

[F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!? Empty Re: [F.A.Q.] How Does Coding Work!?

Post by *paper Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:32 am

Great guide!
    *paper
    *paper

Back to top Go down

Post by SinkLair Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:40 am

Thanks! Very Happy I'm learning more with each minute on this site...
    SinkLair
    SinkLair

http://rolemadplay.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MissoPan Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:30 pm

= 7=/ If anyone ever figures out what the [wow] tag does, feel free to let me know.
    MissoPan
    MissoPan

Back to top Go down

Post by MaikoUchiha Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:40 pm

the only thing i can find on WoW is world of warcraft =_=, I'll keep searchin
    MaikoUchiha
    MaikoUchiha

Back to top Go down

Post by MissoPan Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:18 am

If only, but then I can't imagine what the tag would even do unless it spawns orcs and tauren everywhere.
    MissoPan
    MissoPan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down